Friday, December 5, 2008

Budget-Friendly Red Beans and Rice with Sausage


Ever have those nights when it just looks like there’s nothing to eat, but it turns out you had something delicious all along?

Well, the other night this is all I had on hand. Two cups of cooked leftover pinto beans, 1 cup rice and one package of skinless sausage.

First, I cut the sausage into 1/4 to 1/2 inch slices and seared them in a large pot over medium high. The beans were too cold to throw directly in the pot, so I warmed them up in the microwave, then added to the large pot.

Next, I tossed in:

1 cup of dried parboiled rice (Like Uncle Ben's, or you can cook your own brown rice)
1 cup chicken (or vegetable) broth
1 1/4 cup water

I may have added more water to keep the ingredients from getting too thick. When the liquid came to a strong simmer, I covered the pot and turned down the heat to low. I made sure to cook the rice for 20 minutes. Then removed the large pot from heat and allowed to sit for 5 to 10 minutes. The extra liquid has a chance to thicken while it cooled down. Delicious!

Serve with cornbread or muffins, and enjoy.

Source: SimpleDailyRecipes.com