Friday, December 5, 2008

Chocolate Dipped Bananas


What a delicious treat! Bananas are full of potassium, soluble fiber and carbohydrate, and the chocolate and nuts add both fat and calories. Yum!

These are absolutely delicious when eaten soon after dipping. I don’t recommend storing them in the fridge - they turn mushy and watery. I guess you can refreeze them. I don’t know. We ate all of ours, so I can’t tell ya.

I can tell you what I did.

HERE’S ALL IT TAKES

ripe bananas
semi-sweet chocolate chips
almond bark
chopped unsalted peanuts
popsicle sticks or lollipop sticks
I cut the bananas in half for smaller portions and for easier dipping in a shallow bowl of melted chocolate.

Skewer the bananas with the sticks, THEN PEEL THEM! Place them on a sheet or tray lined with wax paper, then put them in the freezer for oh, let’s say 15 to 30 minutes. (I actually forgot about them for 2 days.)

Anyhoo. Put the chopped peanuts in a plate so it’s easy to roll the banana across the nuts. Melt the almond bark with a handful of chocolate chips, either with the double boiler method or in the microwave. As soon as the chocolate has melted, take out the bananas are start dipping and QUICKLY move to the chopped nuts. Those frozen bananas work fast to harden up the chocolate. There’s no time to dilly dally.

Return the coated treats to the waxed paper until you’re finished.

Yell out, “Come and GET IT!” and they’re gone. They will vanish before your eyes.

Source: SimpleDailyRecipes.com